On your trip to Machu Picchu, you will have the possibility to visit Machu Picchu and the Huayna Picchu mountain. Both mountains need a special entrance ticket. Both offer spectacular views. However, these two adventures are not the same.
Learn about the differences between the two tourist attractions. One thing you should know is: You can’t do both activities, so we have this whole article to help you choose the best of the two.
About Huayna Picchu Mountain
- The mountain of Huayna Picchu is the one behind the Inca city in the classic postcard photo of Machu Picchu.
- It is known as the “Young Mountain”. The walk along its trails is recognized as one of the most incredible short walks on the planet.
- Its Inca trails are steep and narrow. They were built on one side of the mountain. They can frighten people who are afraid of heights.
- If you suffer from vertigo or can’t control your fear of heights, it’s better to go through this mountain.
- In Huayna Picchu there is a famous archaeological site called the Temple of the Moon. The Incas built this temple in the middle of a cave.
About Machu Picchu Mountain
- The mountain of Machu Picchu offers less steep, wider and visually less terrifying trails than Huayna Picchu.
- It is known as the “Old Mountain”. On its slopes the Incas built the Inca City that today wonders the world.
- The walk on this mountain is suitable for tourists of any age. It is ideal if you come with children or older people.
- It is not necessary to reach the top to enjoy the landscape. In the middle of the road you can take good pictures of Machu Picchu.
- In the mountain Machu Picchu there are no temples or Inca sites.
Differences between the Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu mountains
- The hike to the top of Huayna Picchu is more vertical than the mountain of Machu Picchu. However, climbing Waynapicchu will take less time.
- The Machu Picchu mountain offers 400 entrances every day. Tickets can be reserved weeks in advance. The Huayna Picchu ticket (400 tickets per day) can be booked up to 3 months or more in advance for the high season.
- The biggest difference between Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu for us is the difficulty and availability, the former (the mountain of Machu Picchu) is easier than Huayna Picchu and you can almost always find availability.
Huayna Picchu Mountain
Look at this important Waynapicchu Mountain stuff.
- Restrictions: Only for people over 12 years old.
- Height: 2,720 m.a.s.l.
- Walking distance: 2 kilometers of steep and narrow roads.
- Location: North of the Inca city of Machu Picchu.
- Trail description: The trails are quite steep, and ropes are needed to overcome some parts of the trail. You will cross stone and wooden stairs; the trail is visually scary.
- Access: From the Inca city of Machu Picchu, through the Sector of the Huayranas (Sacred Rock) Here you will find the entrance checkpoint to Waynapicchu Mountain.
- Number of visitors: 400 tourists per day.
- Walking time: 2 hours and 30 minutes (ascent and descent)
- Degree of difficulty: Moderately high. It is a steep mountain, with cliffs and many steps (not recommended if you suffer from vertigo).
- First group: Machu Picchu from 6 a.m. / Huayna Picchu from 7 a.m. to 8 a.m.
- Second group: Machu Picchu from 7 a.m. / Huayna Picchu from 7 a.m. to 8 a.m.
- Third group: Machu Picchu from 8 a.m. / Huayna Picchu from 10.30 a.m. to 11.30 a.m.
- Temple of the Moon, built inside a natural cave.
Flora and Fauna
- Forest brow landscape.
- Abundant vegetation, which serves as a habitat for birds, butterflies and insects.
Some of the best panoramic views of the Inca City of Machu Picchu and the incredible mountain environment where it is located.
Precipices covered with vegetation, steep ascents, narrow paths.
Machu Picchu Mountain
- Restrictions: Suitable for tourists of any age.
- Height: 3,082 m.a.s.l.
- Walking distance: 2 kilometers where you will ascend approximately 300 vertical meters.
- Location: In front of Huayna Picchu and to the left of the traditional road.
- Trail description: Abundant vegetation, with wild orchids standing out. The wide trails will allow you to walk on them in a quiet way.
- Access: From the Machu Picchu Complex, go up to the viewpoint (Casa del Guardián) and continue to the detour indicated by a sign.
- Number of visitors: 800 people per day.
- Walking time: 3 and a half hours (round trip).
- Degree of difficulty: Moderate/high.
First group: Machu Picchu from 6 a.m. / Mountain from 7 a.m. to 8 a.m.
Second group: Machu Picchu from 7 a.m. / Mountain from 7 a.m. to 8 a.m.
Third group: Machu Picchu from 8 a.m. / Mountain from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Panoramic view of Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu
Flora and Fauna
You will find a wide variety of orchids, butterflies and birds.
The good stuff
Less steep trails, panoramic views of the Inca city and the Huayna Picchu mountain.
There are no archaeological remains. It’s a little difficult to get to the top.
Questions and answers about the Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu mountains
The mountain of Machu Picchu is ideal for families looking for a little adventure in their vacation in Peru. The Huayna Picchu is recommended for young adventurers. After all, both mountains are good options in the Wonder of the World.
Both Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu mountains offer incredible views of the Inca citadel of Machu Picchu. Tourists can also walk to Intipunku (Sun Gate) for a good view of the Wonder of the World.
No. Both Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu have safety measures that tourists should follow, the most difficult being the Huayna Picchu mountain. It is recommended that tourists do not look for the trail in sections that are not marked or permitted.
It is not common to suffer from altitude sickness. Huayna Picchu is 2,720 meters above sea level. Machu Picchu Mountain is at 3,082 meters above sea level. But it can have some symptoms that are not serious. We recommend acclimatizing at least 1 day in the city of Cusco.
Yes, the entrance to the mountain of Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu is allowed for children and adults. Minors must enter with their respective father, mother or both.
For Huayna Picchu 3 months in advance, for the high season (May, June, July and August) more months in advance. The entrance ticket to Machu Picchu must be bought 3 weeks in advance.
Yes, both the Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu tickets include a visit to the Inca city of Machu Picchu: Temple of the Sun, Intihuatana, Temple of the Condor, etc.
Now you’re ready for your adventure?
Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu mountain tour
If you still don’t have your tickets and you are thinking of visiting Huyna Picchu or Machu Piccchu Mountain, don’t hesitate to contact us. We are a local company.