- Easy bookingBook safely and easily, directly with local operators.
- Duration of the tourHalf day: Starts at 8:00 AM and ends at 12:30 PM.
- Max alttitudeCusco is located at 3400 meters above sea level.
- DifficultyThis tour does not require much effort and can be done at leisure.
- Best timeThe best time of the year to visit is from April to October, and if you like the rains, the ideal months are from November to March.
Salt mines of Maras - Moray
- Meeting point: your hotel or the Plaza Regocijo
- Tour departure: 8:30am
- End of tour: approximately 12:30 or 1pm
- Daily departures: with 2+ people
You will be picked up at your hotel or Plaza Regocijo (your choice) around 8:30am and driven with your guide to Maras, a beautiful colonial town. In Maras you will see colonial architecture with beautiful stonework and sculptures and learn about traditional textile techniques.
You will have the opportunity to buy some textiles here if you wish. Then we will go to Moray where you can explore the incredible and still mysterious circular agricultural terraces that are surrounded by stunning mountain scenery.
Finally, we will visit the salt mines (Salineras) where you can see the 3000 salt pools and watch the miners harvesting the salt of the Incas! As of June 2019 the Salinas are visible only from above, as the corridors between the pools are now closed due to damage caused by over-tourism. They are still beautiful and worth seeing.
Salineras has a small store where you can buy hand mined Andean salt to take home if you wish. After seeing Salineras we take our private transportation back to your hotel in Cusco.
What are we going to do?
- You will visit the salt mines of Maras.
- You will learn how the Incas tested their agricultural products at different altitudes.
- Visit Moray, a research center of the Incas.
What is included?
- Pick up at your hotel or at Plaza Regocijo (your choice) if you are already out.
- Private transportation round trip.
- Professional local guide.
- Entrance Tickets.
What to bring to the tour?
- Cash for souvenirs, tips, extra snacks.
- Comfortable shoes or trekking shoes.
- Warm and light clothing.
- Making campfire.
- Jumping, mail, climbing Inca walls.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.