Machu Picchu receives more than 5 thousand tourists every day, of these travelers, more than 80% arrive by train to Machu Picchu. The main reason is that this is the safest and easiest way to get to Machu Picchu.
There are two railway companies that operate this route: PERU RAIL and INCA RAIL. In the high season (May, June, July and August), it is not always possible to find availability of tickets or train tickets from Cusco to Machu Picchu. And that is why we recommend to buy the train tickets well in advance (2 months or more).
How to get to Machu Picchu by train Step by Step
Step 1: Book or buy the train tickets well in advance, from the website of the only 2 train companies (Peru Rail and Inca Rail). In this step you will choose the station or place of boarding, according to the company you choose, there are 3 options
- San Pedro Station (in the city of Cusco): Peru Rail and Inca Rail.
- Poroy Station (about 30 minutes by car from the city of Cusco): Peru Rail and Inca Rail.
- Ollantaytambo Station (about 2 hours from Cusco city): Peru Rail and Inca Rail.
Each of these companies has different services which we will explain in more detail below so that you can choose the one that best suits you.
Step 2: According to your departure time and place of boarding, be at the station about 30 minutes in advance to board the train.
Peru Rail vs Inca Rail Which train to choose to travel from Cusco to Machu Picchu?
Both Peru Rail and Inca Rail have differentiated services to travel by train to Machu Picchu. Therefore, the choice of any of these companies will depend on the type of service you want to take. However, you should know that PeruRail is the company that offers the highest frequency and availability.
It is the main freight and passenger rail operator in southern Peru. It operates several routes, one of the best known is Cusco – Puno – Arequipa in its luxury train “Andean Explorer”, but its main route of operations is: Poroy – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu Pueblo).
From 2019 it has a new route: San Pedro (city of Cusco) – Poroy – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes.
Peru Rail has 4 types of train services to Machu Picchu for foreign tourists 1 local train service only for Peruvians
The Vistadome Train It is a train with wide carriages, with panoramic windows on the roof and sides that will allow you to take pictures of the whole journey through the sacred valley of the Incas.
It is ideal to observe the impressive natural landscape that surrounds the train between Cusco and Machu Picchu. Also has large panoramic windows on both sides of its wagons and on the roof. It offers onboard snack service with ingredients from Andean products and includes non-alcoholic beverages. And, on the return trip, it offers a fashion show of traditional clothes made with baby alpaca and an Andean dance show.
The Vistadome Perurail train for guests of the Belmond Hotel Rio Sagrado offers an exclusive service of its trains: Vistadome 601 (out) and Vistadome 304 (return).
The Expedition train has wagons totally covered by panoramic windows and service on board, snacks and Peruvian food.
- Hot / cold drinks
Sacred Valley Train
This train connects Urubamba with Machu Picchu on a luxurious journey through the beautiful landscapes of the Sacred Valley of the Incas. It includes lunch (or dinner) in the observatory car or dining car.
Like the Hiram Bingham Train, the Sacred Valley Train has a dining car and an observatory bar car where you are offered:
- Reception with an Andean infusion.
- Gourmet lunch.
- Gourmet dinner.
Hiram Bingham – The luxury train
It is one of the most luxurious trains in the world, exclusive and with full service. It has 4 cars, dining car, car bar, gourmet dinner, transportation and tickets to Machu Picchu.
PeruRail’s Belmond Hiram Bingham Train is equipped with a dining car, bar and observation car, and has the following services:
- Welcome show with typical dances from Cusco and typical and international music shows on board.
- The most delicious Peruvian cocktails.
- Gourmet lunch.
- Live music show.
- Guided tour in Machu Picchu in English or Spanish.
- Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu.
- Private bus to the Inca city of Machu Picchu.
- Tea time at the Belmond Sanctuary Lodge from 16.00 pm.
- VIP room at the Machu Picchu station.
- This luxury train (Hiram Bingham) to Machu Picchu departs, every day except the last Sunday of each month, from Poroy station.
The local train is exclusive for Peruvians and residents of Machu Pichu Pueblo, it cannot be purchased online, it is made at the offices of Peru Rail in Cusco (Wanchaq Station).
It is the second railway company that provides passenger transport services from Cusco to Machu Picchu.
It has the routes of 1: Poroy – Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes and 2: Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes.
The wagons have comfortable seats, folding tables and panoramic windows. Set to Latin American music. There is onboard service and a selection of drinks made with Andean fruits and herbs.
- Hot and cold drinks.
- Ambient music.
They have large panoramic windows, Latin American music, onboard service, with a selection of hot and cold drinks, as well as the sale of handmade products on board.
- Andean snacks.
- Hot and cold drinks.
- On-board entertainment system.
- Sale of handmade products on board.
The First Class
It is a service that has ambient music, natural flowers and lined tables. You will be served a welcome cocktail, lunch and/or gourmet dinner. It is only available in high tourism season (April to October) and special dates.
- Welcome cocktail.
- Gourmet lunch and dinner.
- Outdoor observatory car.
- Gourmet menu
- Bar and free drinks
- Live Music Show
- Bus to Machu Picchu.
With capacity for 8 people. The wagon, known as the “Inca Princess” is of the presidential class. The car has many details in its decoration, food on board, open bar. This train only works on request.
- A private car to enjoy luxury and exclusivity.
- Outdoor balcony.
- Gourmet menu.
- Bar and free drinks.
- Live music show.
- Private bus to the citadel of Machu Picchu.
Inca Rail has no local train for Peruvians or residents of Aguas Calientes.
How long does the train ride to Machu Picchu take?
The length of the train journey depends on the station where the train is boarded:
- 1. From San Pedro station (Cusco city): The trip takes 3 hours and 15 minutes approximately.
- 2. From Poroy station (30 minutes from Cusco): The trip takes 3 hours and 15 minutes approximately.
- 3. From Urubamba station (about 2 hours by car from Cusco): The trip takes about 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- 4. From Ollantaytambo station (about 2 hours drive from Cusco): The trip takes a little less than 2 hours.
What are the train schedules to Machu Picchu?
The train schedule depends on the company that will take it, the schedules are punctual and fixed. Below we show the train schedules to Machu Picchu of the 2 train companies.
Peru Rail Schedules
To Aguas Calientes
- Boarding: San Pedro station, Poroy station, Urubamba station or Ollantaytambo station.
- Arrival: Aguas Calientes station.
|Boarding Station||Type Train||Departure||Arrival||Price||Arrival station|
|San Pedro||Vistadome||06:40||10:52||86 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|San Pedro||Vistadome||07:30||12:11||86 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Poroy||Expedition||06:40||09:54||70 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Poroy||Vistadome||07:35||10:52||105 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Poroy||Vistadome||08:25||12:11||115 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Poroy||Hiram Bingham||09:05||12:24||450 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Urubamba||Vistadome||06:50||09:24||95 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Urubamba||Sacred Valley||10:30||13:34||170 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Expedition||05:05||06:35||65 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Expedition||06:10||07:40||65 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Expedition||07:45||09:15||65 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Expedition||08:29||09:54||65 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Expedition||11:52||13:34||65 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Expedition||12:55||14:25||65 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Expedition||19:04||20:45||65 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Expedition||21:00||22:45||55 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Sacred Valley||11:52||13:34||170 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Vistadome||07:05||08:27||95 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Vistadome||08:00||09:25||95 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Vistadome||08:53||10:29||85 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Vistadome||09:15||10:52||95 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Vistadome||10:32||12:11||85 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Vistadome||13:27||14:50||75 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||Vistadome||15:37||17:02||85 USD||Aguas Calientes|
Return to Cusco
- Boarding: Aguas Calientes Station.
- Arrival: San Pedro Station, Poroy Station, Urubamba Station or Ollantaytambo Station.
|Type Train||Departure||Arrival||Prices||Arrival station|
|Sacred Valley||19:30||21:28||170 USD||Ollantaytambo|
|Sacred Valley||19:30||22:37||170 USD||Urubamba|
|Hiram Bingham||17:50||21:16||430 USD||Poroy|
|Vistadome||16:43||21:23||86 USD||San Pedro|
|Vistadome||17:23||21:52||86 USD||San Pedro|
Inca Rail Schedules
To Aguas Calientes
|Departure Station||Type Train||Departure||Arrival||Price||Arrival Station|
|Cusco||THE FIRST CLASS||08:28||12:41||200 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Cusco||THE 360°||05:00||08:48||86 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Cusco||THE 360° BIMODAL||10:16||14:00||87 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Cusco||THE VOYAGER||08:28||12:41||71 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Cusco||THE VOYAGER BIMODAL||04:10||08:01||75 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Cusco||THE VOYAGER BIMODAL||08:40||12:41||71 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Cusco||THE VOYAGER BIMODAL||16:15||21:09||82 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Poroy||THE 360°||05:55||08:48||86 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||THE FIRST CLASS||11:15||09:15||200 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||THE 360°||07:22||08:48||86 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||THE 360°||11:30||13:06||86 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||THE 360°||12:36||14:00||77 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||THE VOYAGER||06:40||08:01||68 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||THE VOYAGER||11:15||12:41||59 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||THE VOYAGER||16:36||18:09||75 USD||Aguas Calientes|
|Ollantaytambo||THE VOYAGER||19:27||21:09||72 USD||Aguas Calientes|
Return to Cusco
|Type Train||Departure||Arrival||Price||Arrival station|
|THE FIRST CLASS||19:00||23:35||200 USD||Cusco|
|THE 360°||16:12||20:35||95 USD||Cusco|
|THE 360° BIMODAL||10:32||14:32||87 USD||Cusco|
|THE VOYAGER||19:00||23:35||87 USD||Cusco|
|THE VOYAGER BIMODAL||14:30||18:30||79 USD||Cusco|
|THE VOYAGER BIMODAL||19:00||23:00||87 USD||Cusco|
|THE VOYAGER BIMODAL||21:30||01:15||60 USD||Cusco|
|THE 360°||16:12||19:39||95 USD||Poroy|
|THE FIRST CLASS||19:00||20:41||200 USD||Ollantaytambo|
|THE 360°||10:32||12:12||77 USD||Ollantaytambo|
|THE 360°||16:12||17:50||95 USD||Ollantaytambo|
|THE VOYAGER||08:30||10:10||59 USD||Ollantaytambo|
|THE VOYAGER||14:30||15:56||72 USD||Ollantaytambo|
|THE VOYAGER||19:00||20:41||73 USD||Ollantaytambo|
|THE VOYAGER||20:20||21:59||54 USD||Ollantaytambo|
|THE VOYAGER||21:30||22:54||50 USD||Ollantaytambo|
How to buy your train tickets to Machu Picchu in PeruRail
- Go to the PeruRail website.
- Make a search for service availability on the date you want to go, the type of service you want and from which station you want to take the train.
- Choose and complete your personal data.
- Make the payment using your card or the available means that the web gives you.
- Finally, print your train ticket.
At the office
- Larcomar Shopping Center: 610 Malecón de la Reserva Avenue, Stand 214, Miraflores District – Lima.
- Jorge Chávez International Airport: Av. Elmer Faucett s/n, between gate 13 and 14 for domestic flights, Lima.
- Plaza Norte Shopping Center: 1400 Alfredo Mendiola Avenue, first floor of Galería Sur, Lima.
- Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport: Av. Velasco Astete s/n, Cusco.
- Plaza de Armas: Portal de Carnes 214, Cusco.
- Regocijo Square 202, Cusco.
- 409 El Sol Avenue, Cusco.
- Wanchaq Station: Pachacutec Avenue s/n, Cusco
- Poroy Station: Roldan Street s/n, Cusco.
- Urubamba Station: Av. Ferrocarril s/n Urubamba, Sacred Valley – Cusco.
- Ollantaytambo Station: Av. Ferrocarril s/n Ollantaytambo, Sacred Valley – Cusco.
- Aguas Calientes Station: Las Orquídeas Neighborhood, Machu Picchu
How to buy your train ticket to Machu Picchu on IncaRail
- Go to the Inca Rail website.
- Do a search for availability of dates and type of service.
- Choose a route and select the type of service.
- Fill in your personal details.
- Choose a payment method and make the payment.
- Finally, print your train ticket.
- Portal de Panes 105, Cusco’s main square
- Av. el Sol N° 843, Cusco.
- Ollantaytambo Station: Av. Ferrocarril s/n, district of Ollantaytambo
- Aguas Calientes Station: district of Machu Picchu s/n
Recommendations for buying your train ticket to Machu Picchu
- Before purchasing your train ticket, you must first purchase your ticket to the citadel of Machu Picchu, so that according to the date and time of entry to Machu Picchu, you can choose the train that best suits you.
- Buy your train ticket well in advance, especially for the high season, about 2 or 3 months in advance.
- Carry your valid identity card or passport with you.
- Please note that in the rainy season, trains cannot leave due to security issues and route closures, in which case you should go to the train company’s offices and reschedule.
- Only the traveler’s own luggage is allowed, PeruRail has free storage service. We recommend leaving your luggage at the hotel you are staying at.
Frequently Asked Questions about Train to Machu Picchu
– San Pedro Station: Located 4 blocks from the main square of Cusco
– Poroy Station: Located about 20 minutes from the city of Cusco.
Urubamba Station: It is located 1 hour and 30 minutes from the city of Cusco.
– Ollantaytambo Station: Located in the district of Ollantaytambo, to 2 hours of the city of Cusco.
– Aguas Calientes Station: It is located in the district of Machu Picchu, it is the only train station from Machu Picchu to Cusco.
– Poroy – Aguas Calientes: Distance 81 km: Travel time: 3 hours and 30 minutes
– Urubamba – Aguas Calientes: Distance 61 km: Travel time: 2 hours and 30 minutes
– Ollantaytambo – Aguas Calientes: Distance 43 km: Travel time: 2 hours
– Cusco – Poroy: Distance: 12.6 km. Travel time: 29 min.
– Cusco – Urubamba: Distance: 50.1 km. Travel time: 1 h 17 min.
– Cusco – Ollantaytambo: Distance: 76 km. Travel time: 1 h 45 min.
You can leave from the following stations: San Pedro, Poroy and Ollantaytambo.
There are 2 companies that perform the passenger transport service, each of them has different services. Peru Rail (3 types of trains) and Inca Rail (3 types of services). There are about 40 trains that go to Machu Picchu every day at different times.
If you are NOT Peruvian, you cannot take this local train service. It is only for Peruvians with ID or residents with foreign ID .